Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 25 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers.
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 25 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Fridge 596.72913200 too cold

jakeo25

Hello,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator 596.72913200 which has the warmer compartment too cold. 

The control has been set to the lowest (warmest) setting, "1", but items in the fridge area are freezing.   I have not taken apart, and hope to find some guides of how to fix.  I cannot move the fridge from where it sits (long story), so I am hoping to address the problem by checking replacing the thermostat in the warmer compartment.

For now let's assume the condensor coils are clean -- I am getting good cooling in the freezer.

Looks like the "thermostat" is simply a door that closes off the cool air from the freezer (where the evaporator is).   Could the problem be this door or the associated belt damper, or the damper control assembly?

Thanks in advance

Jake The Repairman

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jakeo25

• johntech

• 16345Ed

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing to check is weather the damper door is closing. You can normally test this by adjusting the thermostat for the refrigerator compartment up and down while you hold the door switch and observing. Holding your hand in front of the vent to make sure air is not blowing when closed. If you hear the motor but air still flow in then you need a damper. Part number: WP67003410

Part number: WP67003410

Door breaking off damper is a pretty common failure.

Yes, johntech, that was the information I needed.  Thank you.  Best site on the web for quick answers, I might add.

Fairly easy to address the problem.  Even though warmer compartment was about 30°F (yes!) and thermostat set to warmest setting "1", I could feel a steady flow of air.  Disassembling I found some ice build up around the white plunger that opens/closes the damper door (just to left of spring in photo above).  After melting and drying it still would not fully close. (I held the unit's coils and box next to the freezing air and watched the damper move). 

New part on order.

I also noticed my tenant was keeping the freezer at the coldest setting, and while this normally shouldn't be a problem, a short term fix would be to back off the freezer setting until I replace the damper in the warmer compartment.

19 hours ago, jakeo25 said:

I also noticed my tenant was keeping the freezer at the coldest setting, and while this normally shouldn't be a problem, a short term fix would be to back off the freezer setting until I replace the damper in the warmer compartment.

This could be why damper froze up. 

Both settings should be at mid range. 

You want 0 degrees in freezer and 37 or 38 in fresh food section.