Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 14 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 14 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG 349R refrigerator. Noisy Condenser fan motor4680JB1035H. Can I replace ball bearings?

benyamin39

Hi. I have a LG refrigerator model 349R. It is in very good condition, the only problem is the condenser fan motor that gets noisy some time. I remove the part and spinned the axis. I heared some squeaking so the problem is the motor. I opened it and here are the pictures. Is there an alternative to replacing the entire motor :

1. Can the ball bearing be removed and replaced?

2. Is there a way to grease it (although I believe those bearing are not meant to be greased)

3. What is the purpose of the hole on the side. I found some sort of gum in it.

Thx for your help

image.thumb.jpeg.95841daf0f61d11b96f5f594c6af2d15.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2caa64b34597688a7c54e4ddf5c41dfb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bzserviceco

• Vance R

• Terry Carmen

• benyamin39

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I well respect your depression era " lets fix it before we pitch it" mentality !

Can you ???  Yes,  at probably 200 to 1000 times the price of the new one.  You would have to go to some prototype machine shop,  with the replacement bearing {bronze friction bearing, not ball bearing, add $500 if ball bearing, if even possible},  and then,  after several days or weeks,  you could come and retrieve the motor.

The last I heard,  even semi-hermetic compressors under one and one half HP are being pitched instead of rebuilt ......in a word ----- UGH ......!

Sure. They're not ball bearings they're bronze bearings surrounded by a felt wick.

You can clean them up and shoot a little lightweight oil into the hole next to the hole the shaft goes through and put a drop in the hole where the shaft goes, for both the front and rear, and it will be good for somewhere between 10 minutes and forever. 8-)

It will probably be a food fix, but it all really depends on how much damaged was already done.

No harm in trying!

"Zoom Spout Oil" is good for this. The link is to Amazon but you can get it cheaper locally.

Edited by Terry Carmen