Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool Duet Washer GHW9150PW4 Loud after F02 error

matty1stop

Once again I seek advice from the wise and powerful appliance gods.

My Whirlpool GHW9150PW4 (I believe 10 years old)  front load washer produced an F02 error last week.  I removed the bottom front cover, emptied out the filter and ran a drain and spin cycle with the bottom front cover removed.  Left the cover off again to make sure no leakage and ran a full wash.  Got the F02 error again.  Cleaned the filter out and ran the drain and spin cycle.  

Problem:  The spin cycle is making a very loud banging noise Happened the first time I ran the drain and spin after clearing the filter.  Not sure if it was happening before this.  The wife does most of the laundry while I am at work.  Machine is in the basement and with 5 kids the house can get noisy.

From what I have found the likely culprit is the rear bearings.  

My questions are these:

1) Given what I described do you think it is the rear bearings? 

2) Is there a danger of causing more damage by using the washer in its current state? (remember 5 kids.  It piles up quick)

3) Could I have done something (leaving cover off) to cause or agitate this issue?  Seems like a pretty big coincidence that it came up right when I was dealing with the other issue

4) Any suggestions for finding a quality repairman south of Boston MA?  Afraid this one is beyond my reach

Thanks for reading

Matt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matty1stop

• sh2sh2

• howdryiam

• Rhubarb Tau

Top Posters In This Topic

It was white and blue looked like paper but I didn't really examine it just dumped it.  And it has since gone out with the trash.  Sorry

As you may already know, F02 is a long drain error. Does the unit pump out? Could the banging be due to an off-balance or non-empty tub? Banging doesn't sound like bearings to me; is there perceptible play in the basket? Try grabbing the front stainless lip of the basket and shaking vigorously. Does it rattle?

There is a decent amount of play with the basket.  Busted spider arms? 

Any suggestions for which brand is best to replace it.  10 years isn't a bad run.  Unfortunately Whirllpool doesn't make a model that opens on the left.  

• 4 weeks later...

One thought: On a few of these I've had pressure tubes come loose from the back of the tub and in a spin cycle it will wack against the back of the machine and make banging noise. Louder than you'd expect from a thin plastic tube..... You can see it in action with the top off in spin cycle. Look to the right rear corner.